**Welcome to Nagging Mom’s blog. It’s a blog with real life stories! **

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tattoo

MARKED for life

tatts

PHOTOCOPY: People get memorial tattoos to remind them of a loved one

TATTOOS are no longer a taboo in today’s society. In fact, tattoos are now anything but. Ranging from an art form to a memory of a loved one, getting inked in this day and age is not only for criminals and bad hats.

Malay Mail spoke to Joshua Jay Nonis, 33, Kevin Mitchel De Souza, 30, and Elton Ike Nonis, 36, who run Blackcat Tattoo Studio in Sunway Pyramid to find out more about how tattoos are slowly seeping into the Malaysian culture, and of course some wise words from the experts for those out there who are thinking of
jumping on the bandwagon and taking the plunge.

How long have you been in this line?
Joshua: 13 years.
Kevin: Three years.
Elton: One and a half years.

What were you doing before?
Joshua: I studied computer graphics and got a job designing web pages that I didn't like so I left it to try out tattooing as a career.
Kevin/Elton: We were working in a production house as assistant producers.

What made you start out doing tattoos and how?
Joshua: I had a lot of friends from Singapore when I was growing up and many of them had tattoos, so that sort of sparked an interest for me. A group of us started doing hand-poked tattoos for each other. I got my first tattoo when I was 14. Then we started coming up with ways to make tattoo machines out of mechanical pencils and the motors out of toy cars. When I was a bit older I started to go to Singapore to get tattooed. It all evolved from there.
Kevin: I learned how to tattoo from Joshua quite some time ago, but I didn't really take it seriously. At that time, tattooing was basically a hobby. I used to be a DJ in my hometown Malacca by night and use to tattoo in the afternoons. I made the decision to make tattooing as my career as soon as the decision of the birth of Blackcat Tattoo Studio evolved.
Elton: Ever since I was a kid, I loved to draw but never thought that I would be a tattoo artist. My younger brother Joshua is the one that taught me everything. He guided me all the way to where I am right now.

What is the weirdest thing you've tattooed on someone?
Joshua: I once tattooed a hand print on the back of someone's head.
Kevin: Stick man and woman.

tatts
What is the weirdest place you've tattooed?
Joshua: Besides the head? I tattooed a cupid on a guy's butt.
Kevin: On the back of someone's toes. All five of them.

Why do people come in and get tattoos?
Joshua: Some people get memorial tattoos to remind them of a person, time, pet, etc. Some people get tattooed just because they like the art form. I have even tattooed a good-luck mole on someone's face!
Kevin: Different reasons. Those who are art lovers, those who believe in lucky charms even those who want to get tattoos of their favourite celebrity, sports person or team.

Considering that you're pretty inked as well, what is the most significant tattoo you have that holds the most meaning to you?
Joshua: I have a tattoo of my dog's paw print on my chest that I did after she passed away a few years ago.
Kevin: I have a tattoo on my whole entire chest dedicated to my family.
Elton: I have my first daughter's name tattooed on my back neck. It hurt like hell but it was worth it. Planning
my second daughter's name on the right side of my neck.

What is your take on people tattooing names of boyfriends/girlfriends on themselves?
Joshua: I think it's a bad idea.
Kevin: Only if you want to jinx the relationship.
Elton: As for me, I think it's up to them. I had my girlfriend’s name tattooed on me and now I am married to her.

Does getting a tattoo hurt and which part the most?
Joshua: Yes, tattoos hurt. The armpit and rib area are pretty painful.
Kevin: Pain levels are bearable depending on which part of the body.
Elton: As for me, ribs, neck and stomach hurt the most.

tatts
How old is the oldest and youngest person you've tattooed?
Joshua: The oldest person I have tattooed was in his 60s. The youngest was when I was a kid doing hand-poked tattoos.

Give a word of advice to people out there thinking of getting a tattoo?
Joshua: Take your time. Make sure the tattoo studio you choose is fully equipped with an autoclave. Make sure the studio uses new needles for each and every tattoo they do. Proper sterilisation is the most important thing to look for. Make sure you are comfortable with the tattoo artist. Look through his/her portfolio before hand.
Kevin: Make sure proper sterilisation is looked out for and try to catch the artist in action.
Elton: It's always good to know what you want before going into a tattoo studio. Browse the internet to look for some references, and don't rush into things. An autoclave is a must in a tattoo studio.

No comments:

TIRED? REFRESH YOUR BRAIN

Powered By Blogger

Since 23/9/07

Sos

Phrase I Like

Good friends are like COMPUTER.

U ENTER my life, I SAVE u in my heart, COPY &
PASTE your kindness, VIEW your situations,
SCAN & EDIT your problems ...
And never DELETE u from my MEMORY.




Hoping that your birthday brings the things that you'd like the best,
and that the year to follow is among your happiest !


Best Wishes
Today and Always


ADVERTLETS

NUFFNANG